Gérald Harlin is retiring at the end of the year, Etienne Bouas-Laurent will succeed him as Group CFO on January 1, 2020. Etienne Bouas-Laurent, Karima Silvent and Georges Desvaux to join AXA's Management Committee.
AXA announced today that after 29 years with the Group, Gérald Harlin, Group Deputy CEO and Chief Financial Officer, and a Member of AXA’s Management Committee has decided to retire on January 1, 2020.
I would like to warmly thank Gérald for his very significant contributions to AXA’s success and development over the past three decades. During his tenure, Gérald has held major financial and operational positions ranging from Treasury to Asset Management, within AXA France as well as the Corporate Center. He has played a key role in establishing AXA as one of the world’s leading insurers. In his latest position as Group Deputy CEO and CFO, he has been instrumental in developing AXA’s transformational strategy and its operational implementation during the past 3 years.
On a personal note, I feel particularly privileged to have worked with Gérald and to benefit from his experience, his professionalism, and his unfailing commitment to the success of the Group. I know that all AXA employees join me in wishing him the best for this new phase in his life.
Etienne Bouas-Laurent, currently CEO of AXA Hong Kong, will become Deputy Chief Financial Officer and a Member of AXA’s Management Committee on September 1 and Group CFO on January 1, 2020 when Gérald Harlin retires. Etienne joined the Group in 1997 and has held several financial and operational roles throughout his career at AXA.
Alban de Mailly Nesle, Chief Risk Officer, Head of Insurance Office, and a Member of the Management Committee, will become Chief Risk and Investment Officer, taking the additional responsibility of overseeing the Group Investment Department, in addition to Group Risk Management and Ceded Reinsurance.
Georges Desvaux, previously Senior Partner at McKinsey & Company, is appointed Chief Strategy and Business Development Officer of AXA and joins AXA’s Management Committee as of September 1.
Karima Silvent, Chief Human Resources Officer, is joining AXA’s Management Committee as of September 1.
“The Management Committee is looking forward to start working with the new members of the team, who demonstrate the quality and the depth of AXA’s leadership teams, as well as our ability to attract the best international talents. I wish Etienne, Alban, Georges and Karima all the best in their new roles to accelerate the implementation of our Ambition 2020, as well as the preparation of our next strategic plan”, added Thomas Buberl.
These changes are effective September 1, 2019 subject to any required regulatory approval. As of that date, AXA’s Management Committee will be composed of:
- Thomas Buberl, Chief Executive Officer of AXA,
- Gérald Harlin, Deputy Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer (he will retire on January 1, 2020),
- George Stansfield, Deputy Chief Executive Officer and General Secretary,
- Etienne Bouas-Laurent, Deputy Chief Financial Officer (he will become Chief Financial Officer on January 1, 2020),
- Benoît Claveranne, Chief Executive Officer International and New Markets,
- Georges Desvaux, Chief Strategy and Business Development Officer,
- Greg Hendrick, Chief Executive Officer of AXA XL,
- Alban de Mailly Nesle, Chief Risk and Investment Officer,
- Antimo Perretta, Chief Executive Officer Europe,
- Jacques de Peretti, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of AXA France,
- Karima Silvent, Chief Human Resources Officer,
- Astrid Stange, Chief Operating Officer,
- Gordon Watson, Chief Executive Officer Asia.